In collaboration with Lorna Jane at Huntington Beach, ScientiFIT brings you an informative lecture on
Published on January 22nd, 2013 | by ScientiFIT3
FAQ’s on Probiotics, Prebiotics, and The Health of Your Gut
Did you know… 
- The gastrointestinal (GI) tract is a highly complex environment
- The GI contains more than 100 trillion bacteria which together make up most of the gut “microbiota” (i.e. ecosystem)
- The average total number of bacterial species is estimated to be 1,000 per individual
- The health of the GI tract can provide significant insight regarding the overall health of an individual
1) What are probiotics?
Probiotics are live microorganisms (i.e. bacteria), that if consumed at the appropriate amount, can have health benefits 
2) What is the health benefit of probiotics?
An growing body of research has emerged over the past few decades demonstrating the role of probiotics in improving digestive function, enhancing immune function, and reducing the risk of inflammatory bowel disorders [3, 4]
3) Are probiotics safe?
“Probiotics that contain Lactobacillus, Biﬁdobacterium, Streptococcus thermophilus, and Saccharomyces strains have an extensive safety record for use in the generally healthy population. Other types of probiotics (eg, Enterococcus, Escherichia coli, and Bacillus) should be considered for speciﬁc individuals.” 
4) What is a source of probiotics?
Yogurt and other dairy products are generally a good naturally derived source of probiotics
5) What are prebiotics?
Prebiotics are nondigestible food ingredients that maintain the growth and activity of some bacterial populations within the gut 
6) What is the health benefit of prebiotics?
Prebiotics have been shown to promote the colonic health by a variety of mechanisms, including increasing fecal weight, reducing the colonic pH, etc. 
7) Are prebiotics safe?
Considering that prebiotics are generally derived from a source of fiber, consumed in the appropriate amount, they are generally considered to be safe 
8) What is a good source of prebiotics?